Avoid at all costs:
(I’ve been guilty of most of these. Shame, shame.)
- City kid must move to the country.
- Girl encounters mysterious boy (or boy encounters mysterious girl).
- Getting over a dead family member.
- Kid discovers ancient family legacy / curse.
- Kid is destined to save parallel dimension.
- Male best friend who loves girl who loves mysterious boy. (via @ginad129)
- Girl falls in love with the guy she SWEARS she would never fall for. Ever. Until she does. (via @simplebookworm)
- Jocks that bully incessantly. (via @john_zeleznik)
- 1st person narrator feels obligated to check mirror 3-4 times throughout book to report on every article of clothing. (via @EyeOnFlux)