Like it or not, it’s BEA time again. I’m going with last-year’s checklist. Am I missing anything?
- Small bills. The Javits Center food is terrifying. Better rely on the vendors outside. Still, they will not break a twenty for a six-dollar burrito (a crime punishable by death in some countries). Bring exact change.
- For guys: breathable suits and shirts. 80 degree weather. A glass building in direct sunlight nine hours a day. Think about it.
- Sixty pens. Last year I went with thirty and *still* lost them all. Not again, damn it.
- Up-to-date business cards. Average accrued time spent explaining incorrect info at BEAs past: seventeen thousand hours.
- iPod with dancey mix. Listen to music while walking between meetings. Keeps you pumped up. I recommend bands with names that are only letters. CSS, M.I.A., MGMT, etc.
- Hard copies. The Javits Center, much like the Bermuda Triangle, exists in an electromagnetic pocket that will instantly sap your Blackberry and cell battery. And when the power goes out, who holds all the cards? The guy who printed his schedule, that’s who.
- Vitamin water. A cooler-full. Preferably the “revive” variety.